Dresser Makeover: From Thrift Store to Chic Statement Piece
Level of Difficulty: Medium (depends on state of your dresser)
- Ugly dresser
- Chalk paint (Americana Decor Legacy and Rustic mixed 1:1 ratio)
- Cream wax (Americana Decor Transparent Cream Wax)
- Paint roller
- Paint brush
- Wood filler (Elmer’s or Plastic Wood)
- Putty knife
- Sand paper
- Wood glue (Gorilla Glue)
- Hammer and nails
- Screw driver
- Odorless mineral spirits and clean rags
- I bought this used dresser for a mere $35, what a steal! With that it needed some TLC before I could begin. I started with a thorough cleaning, it had years of pledge and oil which can make paint hard to adhere to the surface. I used mineral spirits to clean the entire dresser. It will evaporate but still needs to be wiped (once dry) with a damp rag.
- Once the dresser dried I removed the drawers and hardware and began strengthening some of the weaker areas by adding nails or gluing and clamping. This included areas that hold up drawers and one of the corners.
- Next I filled gouges and cracks with a layer of wood filler (make sure it’s paintable/stainable). I even used it on the bottom legs where a piece of wood was missing. I didn’t make it flush because I knew it would shrink as it dried and I would sand it any ways. The filler I used started pink and dried beige when it was ready to be sanded. Very helpful. Tip: If you plan on changing the knobs you should also fill in the holes at this stage. I knew I was keeping my knobs (to save time and money) so I didn’t. Otherwise check before you paint to see if your new knobs with fit in the old holes.
- Once dried I sanded over all my areas until they were smooth and flush to the dresser. Then I vacuumed and wiped off all dust.
- To get the dark blue I mixed (in equal parts) Americana Decor’s Legacy (Blue) and Rustic (Gray) and shook it until it was well-mixed. Tip: Save old chalk paint containers to use for mixing colors.
- Next was time to paint, I started with a foam brush but didn’t like the streaky look so I switched to a roller for a more finished look. It took 2 coats with a few hours in between.
- Last layer was a thin layer of transparent wax. I did two on the top and drawers for extra protection.